2022 – The Year of ProVeg UK
December 30, 2022
What a year it’s been! From climate-friendly competitions to Chris Packham joining our ranks, 2022 was the year that ProVeg UK became the go-to organisation for healthy and sustainable school food.
Take a look at our Top 10 2022 Highlights below.
- Our flagship programme, School Plates, grew rapidly in size as we continue to revolutionise school food. We increased our number of major school catering partners from 25 to 38, mostly local authorities, and expanded into Scotland for the first time.
- We’re now influencing the menus in around 3,700 schools feeding close to 600,000 children every day. This is double the number of children we were reaching this time last year.
- Since our programme launched, we have now helped over 8.2 million school meals become meat-free or plant-based (3.6 million meals this year!).
- To improve the quality of plant-based school food, we delivered eight in-person plant-based cooking workshops to partners across the UK.
- This year, we also launched our monthly online workshops, to a total of 306 school catering staff.
- We welcomed an incredible ambassador to our School Plates programme…none other than TV presenter and environmentalist Chris Packham! Chris’ high profile is enabling our programme to reach a wider audience.
- We also entered into corporate partnerships, such as the Green School Menu League campaign. We were delighted to work with Meatless Farm and Omari McQueen (the 13-year old star of CBBC) to find the greenest school menu in the UK.
- Our work attracted high-profile media coverage. We secured five TV features – all BBC news or ITV news – to highlight the healthy and sustainable menu changes we’re helping our local authority partners to make.
- We raised over £50,000 in December to fund our mission to make school food healthier and more sustainable. A huge thank you to The Funding Network and the incredibly generous donors who contributed!
- Together with various partners from civil society and academia, ProVeg set up the first ever Food4Climate Pavilion at COP27, advocating for sustainable, plant-based solutions to our fragile, carbon-heavy food systems.
That’s a wrap on 2022, and we couldn’t be more pleased with what we’ve achieved this year. Of course – we won’t get complacent. We have so much work to do if we’re going to achieve our mission of halving animal consumption by 2040. And thanks to your support, we’re right on track.
Thank you so much for your continued support which makes all of this possible.
From all of us here at ProVeg UK x