Colourful Bean Salad with Pumpkin Seeds & Sweet-Sour Mustard Dressing
September 19, 2020
We are sharing a range of plant-based recipes in celebration of Heritage Day in South Africa. It is recommended to consume legumes regularly as part of a balanced plant based diet. Enjoy this tasty bean salad recipe on Braai Day, or any other day of the year.
“Beans and other pulses are members of the legume family. They can convert nitrogen from the air and ‘fix’ it into a form that can be readily used by plants. More than environmental superheroes, beans offer us a rich source of fibre, protein and B vitamins.”
Future 50 Foods, 50 future foods for healthier people and healthier planet, a Knorr & WWF collaboration
Try our Bean Salad recipe on Braai Day
Ingredients for the salad:
- 1 tin kidney beans
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 1 tin white beans (butter beans or canellini beans)
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 handful parsley
- 60g pumpkin seeds
Ingredients for the dressing:
- 1 tbsp. mustard
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. apple vinegar
- 2 tbsp. agave or maple syrup
- salt & pepper
- Open the tins, wash and rinse the beans / chickpeas in a strainer. Let them dry for a few minutes.
- Cut the tomatoes and pepper into small pieces. Chop the parsley fine. Mix all together with the pumpkin seeds.
- Mix the dressing ingredients with a fork in a cup and add the dressing to the salad. Let the salad rest for 1 hour in the fridge before serving.