Leozette Roode’s Chili-Chocolate Jackfruit Nachos
January 29, 2021
Leozette is the author of The South African Vegan Cookbook, a popular and well-loved cookbook filled with 80 plant-packed meals as well as pages of information and inspiration. She is also the media and campaigns manager as Humane Society International UK, and a ProVeg South Africa volunteer. Leozette shares her creative twist on jackfruit nachos.
The Jackfruit Challenge
V-foods supported our #Veganuary2021 campaign in South Africa, sharing some of their exciting products with us. V-foods makes it possible for South Africans to enjoy quality vegan products such as Nature’s Choice, Chef’s Charm and the well-loved Violife cheese.
We were most interested to see what our favourite foodies could make with Nature’s Charm Young Green Jackfruit. Leo responded to our Jackfruit Challenge with these chilli-chocolate jackfruit nachos. Buy Jackfruit online at Wellness Warehouse and make your own.
Chili-Chocolate Jackfruit Nachos
* 1 can jackfruit idrained and pulled
* 1 teaspoon crushed Garlic
* 1 teaspoon oil for frying
* 1 cup chilli chocolate Bbq sauce (recipe below, or any vegan Bbq sauce)
* 1 bag tortilla / nacho chips
* 1/2 cup vegan cheese, grated or 1 cup vegan cheese sauce (recipe below)
* 1 cup cashew cream cheese dressing (recipe below)
* Lime wedges
* Chili flakes
Step 1: Make the chili chocolate Bbq sauce
* 6-8 dates, soaked in hot water & drained
* 50g dark chocolate, melted. I used Cocoafair 85% dark
* 1/2 cup of water
* 2 teaspoons Marmite
* 4 tablespoons Soy sauce
* 2 1/2 teaspoons Smoked paprika
* 1 tablespoon tomato paste
* 1/2teaspoon chilli flakes
Melt the chocolate in a double boiler, add the dates and water and mix well until all the chocolate has melted.
Transfer the melted chocolate and date mixture to a blender and add the rest of the ingredients. Blend till smooth. Taste and season to your liking.
Step 2: Make the cashew cream cheese dressing
* 1 cup raw & unsalted cashew nuts, soaked and drained
* 1 cup unsweetened soy milk
* 3 tbsp lemon juice
* 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
* 1 tbsp garlic powder
* 1 tbsp onion powder
* 2 tsp mixed herbs
* Salt and pepper to taste
Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
Step 3: Make the cheese sauce (if using)
* 1/2 cup cake-wheat flour
* 3 cups unsweetened soy milk
* 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder
* Dash of turmeric (just for colour)
* A grind of black pepper
Sift the flour into the cold soy milk. Add the nutritional yeast, salt and garlic powder and whisk until well combined.
Transfer to pot and cook over low hear. Continue whisking to prevent lumps.
Remove once thick and creamy.
(If it is lumpy, blitz in a blender for a few seconds).
Step 4: Cook the jackfruit
* Heat oil over medium heat.
* Add the garlic and fry until fragrant and slightly browned.
* Add the chili chocolate sauce (or your pick of bbq sauce) and stir until it becomes runny.
* Add the jackfruit and fry in the sauce for 10 minutes.
* Taste and adjust seasoning, you may want to add more salt, paprika or chili flakes.
* Remove and set aside.
Step 5: Assemble and bake the nachos
* Pre-heat oven to 150 degrees Celsius.
* In an oven-proof dish, place a layer of nacho chips. Top with half of the cheese sauce and half of the cashew cream cheese. Repeat the 3 layers and add the cooked jackfruit on top.
* Bake for 15 minutes until the cheese sauce bubbles.
* Remove from the oven and add the rest of the nacho toppings: onion, tomato, avocado, coriander, jalapeños.
* Serve with fresh lime wedges.
Find more Jackfruit recipes
Curious to discover more ways to use this tropical fruit? Find more jackfruit recipes on our blog over here.